Is Liposuction for Me?
Liposuction is a minimally-invasive procedure which removes areas of exercise-resistant body fat. It can be performed on the waist, thighs, buttocks, or abdomen, leaving patients with a slimmer, more flattering appearance.
Let’s take some time now to answer some questions about this procedure.
Top 5 Questions about Liposuction:
- What does the liposuction procedure involve? Liposuction has become increasingly less invasive with time, and improvements in medical technology. Performed under either sedation or general anesthesia, liposuction will involve the surgeon making small incisions and injecting a local anesthetic (called the tumescent solution) into the targeted area, firming fat and constricting small blood vessels. This will make it much easier for the surgeon to remove the unwanted fat. A small tube known as a cannula will then be inserted through the incisions to suction out the unwanted fat through a power suction device.
- Will I lose weight following liposuction? Patients often have the misconception that liposuction is a weight-loss procedure, which it is not. Liposuction removes areas of stubborn, localized body fat that cannot be eliminated with diet or exercise. While you may look slimmer post-surgery, your weight will not be significantly changed!
- Am I a candidate for liposuction? Ideal candidates are healthy adults who have areas of unwanted body fat, despite a healthy lifestyle. These patients are within reach of their ideal body weight, and have realistic expectations about what the procedure will do for them.
- What will happen after surgery? After liposuction, patients may experience side-effects such as bruising, mild swelling, and possible discomfort within the area that was treated. It may be necessary to wear compression garments to ease these symptoms, and help the healing process. Patients will usually be able to return to work within a few day, though strenuous activities and exercises should be avoided for about two weeks. Your surgeon will provide you with specific care instructions after your procedure.
- Will my results be permanent? Results are not permanent. However, if the patient maintains a healthy lifestyle, there is no reason why their results cannot be long-lasting. It is important to remember that liposuction is not a replacement for diet and exercise. If a patient gains a significant amount of weight, results of liposuction can be altered.
Liposuction in New York